Name: Nancy Levin
Location: Boulder, Colorado
Most Recent Trip: New York City
Guilty Pleasure: Bingeing on pretty much any sappy tv show or movie
Nancy Levin is a Master Coach and bestselling author of several books, including her latest, Setting Boundaries Will Set You Free. Formerly the Event Director at Hay House for over a decade, Nancy is the creator of Levin Life Coach Academy, and offers in-depth coaching and training programs designed to support clients in making themselves a priority and setting boundaries that stick.
1. You’re a master integrative coach, author, speaker and an all around fabulous woman. As a wearer of so many hats, what advice do you have for aspiring female entrepreneurs?
I see so many women suffering the disease to please and held back by the grip of perfectionism. There will never be a perfect time, perfect marketing copy, perfect anything. Don’t get caught up in waiting for perfect - simply do what needs to be done and keep moving.
2. Entrepreneurship is not always as glamorous as is often depicted in the media. What was the hardest part of being an entrepreneur in the early days of your journey?
I'm a recovering workaholic, so the initial hurdle for me was how not to work all the time! I, like many entrepreneurs, love my work, but I had to learn to create boundaries around my space and time - and how to say no with grace instead of guilt - so that I didn’t burnout.
3. What was the best advice you ever received as an entrepreneur? And what is the one piece of advice that you now give to aspiring entrepreneurs?
Don’t quit your day job until you build your side hustle to the level you need it to be so you don’t create added pressure or stress around meeting your financial needs.
4. As a life coach, you are constantly helping other people become the best version of themselves, we want to know how you carve out time for you! What are some of the ways that you practice self-care?
I have several sacred non-negotiables embedded into evening and morning practices. At night I put my phone into airplane mode, take a hot shower, lights out at 9:30 pm and I listen to a short sleep meditation as I drift off. I wake around 5:30 am and meditate first thing, drink a large mason jar of warm water and lemon, write in my journal and then after that I have coffee and turn my wifi back on. I’ve been doing this for about 4 years now and the impact of not waking up to notifications on my phone alone has been a massive game-changer.
5. Your career takes you all over the world and you’re currently heading to New York City for a special event with Gabby Bernstein to launch your latest book, Setting Boundaries Will Set You Free. A lot of work gets done behind the scenes, do you have a personal ritual or method to prepare yourself for speaking engagements?
I’ve learned that it’s not about the words I say, it’s about the transmission from me to even one person in the audience who needs to hear what I have to share. So the prep is really about focusing on her and allowing my truth to come through and give her permission to reveal hers.
6. It's a new year and a new decade, what's next for you?
Last fall, I launched Levin Life Coach Academy and am taking my first cohort of students through a training and certification program and this is where a lot of my energy and attention is as we move into 2020 and get ready to launch again this fall. And, continuing the conversation about boundaries!
7. One person living or dead who you would like to have a conversation with?Sylvia Plath
8. Name a favourite word or phrase?
9. Finally, you are a frequent #HCTraveler, what are your go-to pieces from heleneclarkson?
I have the Orly Dress in 5 colors!!! I also love my several Orly Tops. I have lots of other pieces as well, but clearly my go to is Orly!
From the editors at heleneclarkson